Monday, October 24, 2005

Joplin, Missouri

Where the doors are shut tight, and the minds are shut even tighter . . .

My first blog. This is being written as I try to rise above the fog of yet another job rejection.

"Dear Mr. Peck,

Thank you for applying to ____. At this time (we have chosen another applicant/the position has been filled/please go fuck yourself) but we appreciate your (interest/enthusiasm/desperation) and will keep your resume and application (on file for one year/in mind/as toilet paper). If any other positions are open in the future we hope you will (take the time to re-apply/keep us in mind/not walk into our HR office with a sawed-off shotgun).

As always (thank you for considering us/we wish you luck in your pursuits/please go fuck yourself).

Sincerely,
Please go fuck yourself

OK, I might be exaggerating. Only one company said please go fuck yourself, and in their defense someone had just walked into their HR office with a sawed-off shotgun. But you've all had these infuriating form letters that basically say you're not important enough/you don't matter/hey, how'd you get our address.

Hard not to take it personally. I'm living in Joplin, MO now so I can be closer to my family. But this town does not have open arms towards outsiders despite what the brochures might say. And I'm feeling like a serious outsider right now. I used to live in Chicago. Life was pretty good there. I miss Chi-town. I miss LeRoy. (a couple of you know what I mean!) Maybe it's time to rethink some things.

To paraphrase Tennessee Williams: Joplin is a great city to be from.

Later

1 Comments:

Blogger T. Cobb said...

Leroy? Leroy? Man, those were fun times!

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home